Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I Survived!

We all know I'm a worrier and this situation was no different! Things went smoothly this morning and I've been back home since 11am and doing my best to recover. In fact, I'm in less pain than I thought I would be and just finished a small bowl of mashed potatoes, the first food I've eaten all day. Drinking has been about all I can handle. The bad news, however, is that apparently the pain gets worse as the week goes on. Seems counter intuitive to me, but such is life. The nurse described it as a sort of charlie-horse in the back of your throat because the muscles that held the tonsils (and in my case they had a heavy load) try to hold them up but don't know they aren't there and that's was causes the pain. Just before surgery the doctor stopped by to talk to me and said to expect the worst to come between the 3rd-7th day. Super.


My mom is a rockstar and has had both kiddos there last night, all day today, tonight and tomorrow during the day as well. We are so incredibly thankful for her and everyone else who has been so willing to volunteer their time this week. The kids are going to get lots of family time, just maybe not with me! I miss them, but it's hard to talk and the thought of being climbed on right now doesn't make me feel too swell, and I'm still pretty hopped up on pain meds, so in the end, I think this is more enjoyable for all of us! ;)


I have to take liquid pain medication which is super icky, but at least it works fast. Charlie is being a good little nurse and has been bringing me drinks all day and cuddling me to sleep. I'm concentrating really hard, so hopefully this post shows no evidence of my drug-induced state, but it's about all I can handle, so I'm back off to my cocoon of pillows! Thanks for all the phone calls and positive thoughts! You all know me so well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad all went well Tori!
Cathy

Ellyn said...

Happy to hear you are in recovery mode. Your blog message sounds just like you, no drugs!!! Maybe later in the week?? ha, ha