So lately I've been kinda worried about Leo and his development. I should preface this by saying that I do indeed realize that most of my worries are really my own neurosis and I get it, but that doesn't mean I don't worry. I also know that I too am a second child and turned out "fine" for the exception that I'm still bitter there are fewer pictures and absolutely none of me by myself, but whatever. Additionally, I always thought my brother was smarter than me. This could just be general self deprecation or it could in fact be true (the theory being that he was the first born and more time was used to smarten him up!) ...but let's not let him in on that!
I also realize that Leo does get a lot from just watching Sophia and listening to us all talk and interact and I'm happy about that, especially since those two kiddos just love each other to death! But, at the end of the day I still think to myself that I didn't do enough with him.
I need to read him more books (way more books actually), I need to play with him one on one more, I need to be playing more baby games, and the list goes on and on. Although I introduced the sippy cup to him at 6 months I haven't really put the time in and mostly forget to give it to him anyway, so now 2 months later, he still doesn't really use it. The past few days I've been trying to give it to him at least once a day and I'm hoping he'll pick up on it quickly. We also started finger foods after at least a week or more of me saying to myself every day to do it (pics of that coming soon by the way!). I know with Sophia I wasn't as busy and surprisingly, I've actually been trying to be less busy the last few weeks because I'm just a bit worn out, but there are days when I still feel like I should have done more.
Mostly this post is about venting and sharing as in the end, I'm sure he'll turn out "fine" too, but sometimes I want more than that. I want him to be just as social, interested, literate and verbal as his sister and I worry that if he isn't, the blame lies on me. He is a true joy, however, and I love every minute of him! It's amazing that we are closing in on a year rather rapidly and the four of us really are a good team. He is a truly happy soul who loves to be around Sophia and Walter, he loves to be talked to and tickled and if he could just crawl a bit more, he would really be proud of himself!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Leo will be who he is, just like Sophia is who she is. Believe you me, your husband is probably the most social butterfly from his siblings.
Oh Tori, I know it seems like you should do more, but you're an amazing, fantastic mom and you're doing a great job. All that matters is that your kids are happy and healthy and loved and we know that's already a given. I'm a second child too, and I also turned out "fine"! I am in fact much more social than my older brother. Second children, I think, tend to pick up on things quicker because they observe their older sibling and learn from them. I bet he's picking up on more than you realize. You're a great mother - don't ever doubt it!
Funny, David (first born) always thought Louise (second born) was smarter than he. Perhaps he is rethinking that at age 44 since he has been on the Dean's List since he started training for his next career. A mom can only hope!
Post a Comment