Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Just Call Me Green Thumb

Okay, I know, I know, "Green Thumb" may be jumping the gun just a bit at this point (I did kill a cactus), but I'm optimistic! We have decided, however, to try our hand at gardening. Jodie is a fabulous gardener and is successful at growing quite a bit, so she has been our expert (and motivator) thus far...


We started out with many trips to Home Depot, which is a great spot to generally waste time and let the kids play, if you didn't know!


Isabelle and Sophia learn the finer points of tractor negotiation
all three girls splash and clean hands and rocks at the fountain display


Leo just generally smiles and coos at all the other passers-by while also picking up some helpful grilling tips
Once home, "we" get right to work...

Jodie starts tilling by hand....

...I put those rascally kids to work too...

...I even make the pregnant lady get out there and dig some dirt!


A good manager knows how to delegate! Right?!

Oh wait...here I am...
...using the rotor-tiller and trying really hard to keep all my toes!

A well deserved drink is enjoyed by all!
In the midst of our work, a neighbor came by and offered up his tiller. I was pretty clueless but thankfully Jodie quickly answered with a resounding "YES!" and I then saw how much easier the work became. (for the record I was helping her double-dig, I just had to stop to take pictures too! This is me we're dealing with, people!) The thing was MASSIVE and it took some getting used to. Thankfully, due to its power, it did the job quickly and we were done. This weekend Charlie and I planted all our little survivors that we'd started from seed, but seeing them in that massive grave, er, I mean plot, I became much more fearful of their survival. We're trying our best though and we're hoping for just one lone tomato or zucchini to mark our success! Charlie and Jason also used a tiller (much smaller and less manly than the one I used, for the record..;) to till up some spots I may want to put flower bushes or wild flowers. If I put some bushes in I will most definitely buy some that are already big! I'm not sure how this garden will grow, but I am excited to give it a try!

1 comment:

Carolyn Zook said...

Great job, Tori! I tried a garden last year and it was an epic fail, but I didn't till either. :) I look forward to homegrown jars of tomato sauce in my future! :)