Sunday, July 19, 2009

Zoo Day, Hooray!

Aunt Chris and Julie support Sophia the jumping bean!

Sophia and Daddy gazing at the Kudu
(Sophia kept calling them goats, but who's keeping track!)

taking a closer look at the zebras


three cousins enjoying some shade

The Hirners aboard the hippo

Sophia chose to ride the seal

while Julie picked the zebra
Now that I've got this zoo thing down, we hit the KC Zoo this week too. Sophia was thrilled, although she did keep asking why Lily and Kathleen weren't there! Now, I'll try not to be too negative here, but I just don't know if it's because we just experienced the St. Louis Zoo and all it's glory (including the fact that it's FREE!) or if the Kansas City Zoo really does just suck. I honestly can't remember the last time I was there and Charlie hasn't been since he was a kid, so it was a whole new experience for all of us. It just seemed that the ratio of animals to sidewalk was a little disproportionate...in other words, there was far too much walking and not enough viewing. When there were animals, they were very hard to see and nothing was labeled well at all. We didn't make it past Africa due to it's proximity to everything else and the fact that we ran into nap time. We did manage to hit the carousel on the way out, which was a big hit. But, I haven't given up on it yet! I'd like to return to the zoo and visit some other "continents" which will hopefully be more visitor friendly!

2 comments:

Carolyn Zook said...

Maybe move to Pittsburgh? We have an excellent zoo here and that would solve a lot of problems...

Kathleen said...

I do believe that St. Louis is a bit closer than PA and has many, many other family-friendly and FREE attractions. Want to go, Zook? Besides, where is your loyalty to the midwest?! :)