Saturday, September 25, 2010

The First Birthday Bash

Two birthdays celebrated, partied, and cleaned up (well, sort of!)! I can check that off the list for this year! I still can't believe Leo is a whole year old. Yes, I've been anticipating this moment and now that it's here, I have mixed emotions...I know, I'm so fickle! I am happy to have much of that baby stuff behind us including baby food and formula! I am also happy to see Leo growing up and understanding language and learning to talk and I can't WAIT for him to walk...but on the flip side...he's going to get so big and so independent and my cuddles will become less and less. The sweet innocence of babydom is slowly drifting away and that makes me sad. But, this was a big day and I'm so proud of my little boy.


He woke up happy and ready to party! Charlie and I got him a crawl through tunnel since crawling around is pretty high on his list of activities...this kid is BUSY! We had a house full of folks and food. Thankfully the weather cooperated and it was a pretty great day to be outside. It was a bit overcast, but the temps were in the upper 60s so it was just perfect to play the day away...not to mention perfect for the fabulous outfits I found! I got Leo a shirt that said 'birthday boy' with a football on it...perfect for the theme (which was Balls, Balloons,and Bubbles...oh my!). For Sophia I found a super cute and girly football 'jersey' to coordinate with Little Bro. They looked pretty darn adorable, if I do say so myself! The balloon artist/face painter was a big hit with the kids and it was fun to see all their designs. Leo did great with all the people and commotion and was pretty social the whole afternoon.


When it came time for cake he was utterly uninterested. He was pretty tired, but still, he didn't want to try it and was put off by the very presence of it on his tray! After everyone trickled out both kids took an awesome, and much needed nap. Since they both napped a bit late, I figured we needed to get out of the house and get some energy out.


We headed to the mall for a low-key dinner of soup and macaroni (Leo's absolute favorite meal by the way) and a ride on the carousel. Then we came right on back home, accompanied by Bama and Shelby, to try his cookie cake. Now, I know, I'm crazy, I get it...but cookie cake has been a tradition in my family for more than 25 years and I could not let his first birthday pass without it. I hoped that he would be more inclined with this dessert, but no. It immediately went off the tray and into the happily awaiting mouth of Walter. I'm sure he'll warm up to cake soon enough so I'm not too worried about it, but it's just funny to see how different Sophia and Leo really are...she gobbled up both kinds of cake offered to her on her special day!


All of us are beat. Sophia wanted to spend the night with Bama tonight, so after a long day I hope they survived bedtime over there! Leo fought sleep for just a bit before drifting off into slumber. I'm so thankful for such a sweet boy and I love him more and more each day. I love watching him grow and learn and I love watching him bond with his sister. I have two great kids and I couldn't have asked for a better party! Happy Birthday, Little Man, I hope you had a great day!



Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Free slideshow design created with Smilebox

No comments: