Sadly, Sophia finished her last Parents as Teachers home visit last week. The really sad part was that I was totally blindsided because I thought the program went until she was 4!?! I'm not exactly sure why I thought this, I mean at one point I knew the real deadline was 3, but I guess I was just extra hopeful and decided to have selective memory!
As a "graduation" present, our gal brought Sophia the super cute book pictured above. I would like to add however that next year she has already suggested they buy and give away a book that Sophia and I recommended to her called The Pout Pout Fish. I felt rather impressed with myself for possibly choosing the latest and greatest PAT graduation book for 3 year olds all over Shawnee Mission! ;)
Even though I cried when I realized that this was her last visit (I'm not kidding, tears literally...and a lot of 'em...not to mention that I hadn't even baked her cookies or anything...the horror!) I am so thankful that we were able to participate in this seriously phenomenal program. I learned a lot, as early childhood is certainly not my expertise, and Sophia adored Miss Kathy and each visit they had together. The other big downside is that even though Leo is only 1, he doesn't get to continue with the home visits any longer either because of the demand for the consultants' time and resources. Although I was thrilled to have her here with Sophia, Leo is really the one that needs it. At each evaluation Kathy would sail through it checking off all the things that Sophia could do and then some...with Leo...not so much. In the end though, she did allay some of my fears about him.
We both agreed that he is really much too focused on his gross motor skills right now to deal with the small stuff...like waving, putting things in other things, and giving and releasing his toys! He is a very happy and active child and she sees no reason to worry that he won't eventually catch on to those fine motor skills, even though it probably won't happen until after he starts walking and starts climbing...about another 6 months or less.
We had a great three years and we'll miss Kathy dearly!
No comments:
Post a Comment