Well, just when I thought we were getting the hang of this breastfeeding nonsense, the rug was pulled out from under me. The hospital where I delivered has a breastfeeding support group on Thursdays. So Sophia and I went to get some support. They also have a scale available to weigh your baby. I was a little nervous but stripped her down and put her on the scale anyway. Well, she hadn't gained anything all week. Great...here I was feeling good, now I'm back down to feeling like the worst mother in the world again. It seems Sophia is not transferring the milk into her mouth. They say she probably isn't sucking hard enough and therefore not taking much in even though she looks like she is. They also say there really isn't a way to fix it except keep working. Wait, I thought that's what I've been doing?? GRRRR!
So, per lactation nazi orders, I have to go back to supplementing. Now I have to nurse for 15 mins, give supplement, then pump to both keep up my milk supply and create a supply a milk for more supplementing. This makes for a loooooong day, especially at 3 in the morning. She is supposed to be getting about 1-2 oz of supplement after each feeding...uh, that's a lot. We may have to use formula if we run out of pumped milk, but I would really rather use my milk.
We are now currently under the barrage of everyone telling us to use a bottle instead of the finger feeding or cup method. Now, don't get me wrong, both those methods are fairly horrible. They take forever, are very messy and usually involve Sophia sucking down more air than necessary or comfortable. BUT...I'm still worried about the whole artificial nipple thing. Now don't feel you all have to write in and tell me how wrong the theory of nipple confusion is. I've heard it, I get it. No one thinks it exists but me and some other doctors and nurses who seem credible. I am considering going to the bottle out of sheer convenience for myself. With Charlie going back to work on Monday, I'll really be on my own in the middle of the night. I'm just confused and a little discouraged.
But...it's okay. I'm committed to breastfeeding even through the tough times. I really do believe it is what is best for my baby. I am confident that it will get better and she will catch on. Sometimes however, I have to remind myself of this fact! And...even though I called her a nazi before, I do appreciate the help of the one lactation nurse I've decided to listen to. I've found all of them have a different opinion about everything, and even in 10 short days I've talked to a lot of them, so I'm picking one and sticking to her! She has been very nice and helpful and, incidentally, the only one who never made me feel bad about that controversial nipple shield!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know that you do not need any further advice, but let me just say this anyway. Per Carl, scales are extremely unreliable, even if you are using the same one, so don't let the "no weight gain" get you down too much. As long as she is wetting her diapers, she is okay. Hang in there, the worries will dissapate by the day as you get more comfortable and in-tune with Sophia.
HANG IN THERE! I promise this will get better. Also, no matter what advice you get, you need to do what is best for you. Lord only knows, that it's really hard to decipher what that actually is when you get a lot of differing opinions. Oh, and have I mentioned that Kathleen is a smart lady! Love ya!
Post a Comment