Wednesday, September 26, 2007

One Week Birthday

with cousins Nick and Molly



Great Grandma B--Sophia is her 12th great-grandchild and she has the 13th due in March!


One week old...WOW!! Okay, okay, so it was actually yesterday, but I'm still trying to work things out over here! A lot can happen in a week, huh? Sophia and I are still adjusting and trying to get on somewhat of a schedule. She lost 11% of her birth weight before leaving the hospital so the docs/nurses are really following up to make sure she's eating and gaining weight.



Breastfeeding is going, well it's going. We have our good moments and our not so good. It's definitely better than it was, but it can sometimes be a struggle. We are using a nipple shield (thanks Kathleen) b/c it is the only thing that allows her latch on, but the lactation nurses hate it! They make me feel guilty for using it all the time, but it's just too bad! It's that or nothing right now.



She grew from 19" to 21.5" yesterday! Yowser! It could be that she actually grew or it could be that she's finally stretched out from being so cramped up in the womb! Who knows, but she continues to have long arms and long legs! So far it looks like she'll be a tall little girl!



We continue to have the support of all our family who visits daily. Grandma Sue took this whole week off and has been able to spend some quality time with Sophia and us, but mostly she cares about the baby! :)

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Damn lactation nurses! I was lectured on how I was going to decrease the supply of breastmilk, etc. by using the nipple shield. Really? Because let's talk about the percentage of people who go 12 months with breastfeeding. I did not have ONE problem with my supply or her latching (no nasty infections or other common problems with the breast/nipple) after I started using it, and it turned an EXREMELY painful experience into one that I could actually relax and enjoy with my baby. I am 100% positive that I would not have been able to go as long as I did without the nipple shield; it was just an awful experience for both of us (that involved many, many tears from both of us) before the beloved nipple shield. I'm sorry that I did not know about it sooner! Whether or not you continue to use it in the long run really doesn't matter, but don't let anyone make you feel guilty about using it right now. Do what works for you and Sophia - always!

Wiens/Friday Clan said...

I agree with Kathleen, "Damn lactation nurses!" I didn't find out about it until after about 3 months. So, I'm thrilled that you have found it so early. I was more than happy with mine. I found that it and the lady that helped me get it were my saviors! And I had NO problems with it. So, just try to smile and nod next time you see one (and ignore!).
Love to you all!

Anonymous said...

So I haven't checked your blog in a while and wow - I'm impressed!! Who says you're not computer literate?!?! What a great record to have of these very special days. I love the pics! :)