Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Last Visit to the Doc

So last night was our last OB visit. Kinda crazy! Part of me feels like it was just yesterday that I went in to confirm pregnancy at only 5 short weeks, and then, the other part of me feels like I've been pregnant for going on 2 years! This is a time of such mixed emotions with me because I have the impending c-section "looming" over me but the excitement of knowing Baby is coming.

I am a constant worry wort. I don't like change and generally have great deals of anxiety over it. I know you're all thinking to yourself that I'm in for some hurt then, with a baby coming and all, because that is like the granddaddy of change! I do realize this. And...I'm always okay once it comes and goes and I know I'll be thrilled, but until then I just get nervous. So my latest obsessive worry is this...How do they cut into me without cutting the Baby? So of course, I asked the doctor. He just sort of looked at me and gave almost a little chuckle. I don't think anyone has ever asked him this question, which surprises me since it seems so darn obvious!

The troubling part for me was that he never really answered. He just said, oh well, it HAS happened, but almost never. WHAT??!!! Is this supposed to be making me feel at ease, what happened to bedside manner? He explained that they just go slow and wait for the baby to move out of the way. Well, I am sorry but this seems a little too archaic for a society that is so medically advanced, wait for the baby to move? Isn't there some sort of machine or something that can track the baby so we guarantee we don't hit it? Sheesh. I am confident in my doctor, but I will admit that this fear can't be totally crossed off the list yet.

Baby should be around 61/2- 7lbs, give or take, right now and will gain about a pound more in the next week. I'll be really happy with a healthy 7 lb baby. We were in the elevator at the doc last night and a nice woman struck up a conversation with us. She asked when I was due and when I said next week she gasped and said Oh you're so small! (Thank God for small miracles, anyone who's ever been pregnant knows this is rare...usually people comment on how BIG you are) She continued on to let us know that at this point her daughter was big as a house, of course then she delivered an 11 pound baby, so maybe that's why. WOWSER! 11 pounds...at least I don't have to add that to my list of worries! :)

2 comments:

Louise Friday said...

I hope that this helps put you at ease: there are many layers between the outside (from where the scalpel will be coming) to get in to the baby. They don't go in like with a chainsaw or anything, so I know that you and baby will be fine!

Love you! You should be getting something from us next week. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I'm glad a re-read that, at first I read there are many lawyers on the outside and that DIDN'T put me at ease! :)

Whew!

love you guys too! XOXO