Even though I got some cute pics, this was certainly our worst year for blueberry picking to date. There were no berries. Literally. The patch we pick has many different patches that they open and close each day according to ripeness, etc. They sent us to the furthest possible patch and there were no ripe berries. I'm sure there were some at 7 in the morning b/c we sure did some die hards walking past us with buckets and buckets, but by the time we got there everything was green. Leo managed to find quite a few ripe ones on the ground. I got probably 50 berries or so on my own, Sophia probably got between 20-30 but managed to eat all of them before we even left the picking aisle. Pathetic. I figured it was fine and I'd just go ahead and purchase some of the "we-pick" berries (as opposed to the "u-pick" variety you get yourself) but they were completely out of those as well. Jodie happily dumped her bag into mine and I ended up with about a cup and half. MUCH less than the 2 cups I needed to make the cookies I desired or the 4 cups I wanted to try making a pie this year. Boooo! It was really too bad, but at least the kids had fun. I suppose I can buy store bought berries to make my pie, I mean they are in season, but there's just something about making a pie from berries you picked yourself. And this would have been my inaugural pie so should I slum it with grocery store berries, I think not.
Sunday, July 3, 2011
Blueberry Picking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you're better off buying the frozen wild blueberries for taste. Been a bad year for berries here; too much rain and cold.
Post a Comment