Loving those homemade green beans now!
The opposite of the milk mustache is the milk beard!I have finally begun to make some of Sophia's baby food this week and let me tell you it is an adventure. A few months ago we went crazy and bought a fancy new blender. We had some gift cards, so that was a big influence on this decision, but our other blender broke and Charlie loves to make smoothies, protein shakes and various other concoctions in there, so we went up-scale. Plus, one of the bullet points the sales clerk used was that it can make purees...thus the creating began. Check out our fancy new blender and you just may want one of your own!http://http//www.irawoods.com/Breville-BBL550XL-ikon-Hemisphere-Blender-Stainless-Steel;jsessionid=0a0106431f43ebfec11c7b854f6f86bf9767bd93ad8d.e3eSc3eMbxuPe34Pa38Ta38Nc3f0?sc=2&category=322871The first batch I made was green beans. I bought some nice fresh green beans at the local farmer's market. I pureed them up and put them into ice cube trays to freeze them. This is an incredibly handy idea and after 30 seconds in the microwave they are thawed and ready to eat. I trained Sophia many months ago on eating cold or room temperature food b/c it was getting very tiresome, not to mention wasteful, waiting for hot water to warm up the bottle.
My green beans looked fantastic as they had a beautiful green color to them and even smelled fresh. I tasted them and they even tasted like beans...hooray! Sophia was a little less excited by then as she had gotten used to the packaged variety but adjusted in a feeding or two. I didn't save very much money on the first batch, but I did save in packaging plus I knew exactly where the food came from, that was worth the small monetary gain right there!
Today I ventured into sweet potatoes and carrots. I started with the potatoes and the few potatoes I bought ended up making 25 servings...wowser! So, I didn't have room to make the carrots as I only have to ice trays to freeze. I'll save the carrots for tomorrow and transfer the frozen potatoes to a ziplock in the freezer. I figured the cost out on those and I went from spending $0.25/serving on Gerber to $0.06/serving on Homemade...can't beat it!
I'm not quite ready to start fruit as it seems that many fruits you have to used the dried variety. I can only guess because maybe the fresh fruits have too much water in them already and just turn to mush...not sure, though. Plus, she is only doing bananas, which don't need a blender, and peaches which I'm not sure she likes. She doesn't gag when she eats them, but she purses her lips and makes a funny face.
It will be a whole new ballgame when I try my hand at meats and other such combos, but thankfully that's still a month or so away! Whew!

No comments:
Post a Comment