Thursday, May 8, 2008

Every Other Day

It seems that our little cherub is going through a phase, which phase, we're really not sure. She's currently on an every-other-day pattern for grumpiness. She is such a loving, happy child all the time that it concerns me when she has even the slightest mood change. I know that I'm being a worry wart, and Charlie is looking at it much more rationally, but still.

She may be teething, again. It seems she's been "teething" for a few months now, but now is the time that those teeth may really decide to appear. She is awfully chewy and drooly, but I'm confused because sometimes she needs the Motrin and sometimes she just needs to be held?? She's had a few bouts of some major vomiting in the past few days and this afternoon all she wanted was to be held. I'm worried that my attempts at purees may be poisoning her! With what, I don't know, it's just vegetables and water, but the time is overlapping!

I also think that I've constipated her with the rice cereal. I moved on to oatmeal and I must have had a lapse in judgement because I don't have any idea why I returned to that awful rice! So, my other theory is that she's pushing so hard to get the poop out that she is vomiting...which may seem far-fetched, but I have seen to be proven on at least a few occasions. I did mix the rice with some oatmeal, but it is still really sticky and thick.

Another theory is that she may be allergic to bananas. She's had them for a while now, but her vomit, although mostly liquid, may contain banana parts too...hmmmm? Perhaps it's just that bananas and formula are the same color and I'm confused, also plausible.

And finally, my last theory is that I just have no idea and maybe she's just going through some growing changes. Overall, she really is still happy and playful, it's just certain times of the day that she is upset (and no real pattern has shown up there either). My plan of action is to stop the bananas tomorrow and go to straight oatmeal tomorrow too. I realize that it may not be wise to make a double change but we'll see how it works and maybe I'll re-introduce bananas in a few days??

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

In my experience, you often only find out the answers to these questions when the behavior or phase has ended and you're on to a new phase...and sometimes not even then. We were left scratching our heads so many times that I think we have permanent damage to our scalps. Good luck with everything!