I had my much anticipated appointment with the lactation nurse today. I was very excited and a little nervous because I'm ready for a plan. For five weeks now I've felt that I've been drifting along taking advice with no end in sight for my ridiculous feeding ritual. The nurse I worked with has been a lactation nurse for a long time and has lead a breastfeeding support group for 12 years. She has a ton of experience, and being part of the support group has "heard it all". So I was confident that she would be able to help me.
After giving her a brief history of my time with Sophia we got to work. We weighed Sophia before we started and we would weigh her again when she finished feeding to see how much she transferred. Then she watched me nurse. Sophia had a good latch with the nipple shield and was really sucking away. So at the end of 15 minutes she had only transferred 14cc (about 1/2 oz). This is about what I had expected and an obvious source of my frustration. She started asking me questions about the nipple shield and if I'd tried to go without it, etc. I explained that I have tried but I can't get the baby to latch on , etc. She was quite adamant that we try without the shield and she would help me get Sophia to latch. So, here's where your math skills come in handy....after latching without the nipple shield and nursing for only five minutes, Sophia transferred 22cc. Well, whadya know.
I'm sure there are many a lactation nazi nodding their heads in affirmation at this point, but I must say I was shocked. And a little irritated. Why did I have to pay someone $75 to figure this out when I've seen a whole gaggle of lactation nurses for free and explained my situation over and over again! Plus, for everyone else I know the nipple shield has worked wonders, so who would have thought it was impeding our progress???
So now we're on Plan B, that is at least until Tuesday when we see if our plan succeeded or failed. Per her instructions, we are cutting down on the amount of supplement per feeding, plus I'm eliminating one supplement per day. I am nursing her for 5 minutes with the shield to get her started then taking it away and nursing for ten more minutes. I'm supposed to do this on each side every time. The hard part is getting her to latch. It was so much easier in the warm, cozy office of the lactation nurse, especially when she was helping! I've tried twice so far today and I've experienced both success and not success. I don't want to say failure yet, as I'm on board for another go at this whole breast feeding thing.
I know that many out there keep encouraging me to give up and go to formula, and really I can't tell you why I haven't. But, many of you also know that once I decide on something it's awfully hard to talk me out of it! I do believe that breastmilk is what's best for my baby and I enjoy the closeness that it brings (when I'm not crying out of frustration that is!) us. Plus, I have a bias against formula because I think it smells funny and it makes my stomach turn. Sorry.
I weigh Sophia again on Tuesday. If she has gained at least 5 oz, we continue with the plan. If she hasn't...well, I don't know what we'll do!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment