Thursday, December 9, 2010

New and Improving

I've alluded a few times to our "remodeling" project and it's almost complete! We started with getting all new windows and a sliding door in our kitchen. They look so nice actually and we're very happy with them. Then we got a wood stove insert for our fireplace because there is so much damage to the actual chimney, etc. that it is unusable and this option was cheaper. It's really important to Charlie to have a working fire place and although I could care less and am way too much of a worry wart for live fire in our house, I love him, so I compromised. We've had a fire in it twice already and so far so good! ;)

Finally, our biggest project was drywalling our family room. I tried to find "before pictures" since I forgot to take some before the demo, but alas, we changed the way we save our pictures and I just couldn't find any. If you don't know what it looked like before think 70s sheik with wood paneling and cedar beams. Our very good friends Neil and Jason were hired on to do this project for us and they demo'd the room, put up drywall, fixed the ceiling and pulled down the beams, put up track lighting, wired it for the tv mount, and painted it! It looks totally awesome and they worked super hard on it!


We had furniture delivered but we're still waiting on our bookshelves and mantle to be built and installed and some painting to be finished. I love our furniture! It is so "us" and even Sophia loves it! The TV is now mounted and the room looks so much bigger! The pictures below are still sort of "work-in-progress-y" but we'll get more up soon!



This is Neil after sanding the ceiling! He's nothing if not dedicated...or crazy!

Leo and Walter peeking behind the plastic sheet...what are you guys doing down there!?


after vacuuming and mopping Charlie sets up a folding chair to enjoy his TV :)



the shelves will go on either side of the fireplace with a mantle running from wall to wall


This wall faces the back yard...do you love the color?


Sophia breaks in the new sofa! LOVE IT!

Charlie and his dad enjoy a night cap in our new chairs!
(these chairs are on the wall that connects to the kitchen)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow this looks great, cannot wait to see it in person.
Cathy

Carolyn Zook said...

It looks beautiful, Tori! Good job hanging in there with all the construction!!!

Jill said...

Looks awesome! I love the color--you said brown and it is brown but I was thinking you meant darker. Glad it's not darker because that would defeat the purpose of getting rid of brown wood walls! ;) The couch is totally cool too. Can't wait to see the shelves--it looks like a new place.

And boy, this project really aged Neil. Poor guy. ;)