Monday, January 4, 2010

Preoccupied

So, I usually have some sort of project going on on the side to keep me busy, and this time it was a photo book. Now, this was not just any photo book mind you, but the granddaddy of all photo books! After I made a baby book of sorts for Sophia after her first birthday I decided that there were just too many other pictures of the family, etc. that wouldn't fit into just a "Sophia" book, so I decided I should start making yearly photo books. Leo will get one for his first year also, but after that it's just going to be year by year and whatever other ones I throw in the mix (I've also done a Thanksgiving and Halloween photo book) for good measure. The small theme based ones are way easier and take up much less time, so that's no biggie! Anyhow...since the first of the year has passed I was anxious to finish up the book and it was difficult to do that and blog, which explains why my posts have been a little lax lately! Just to give you a little more insight into my craziness, I've crunched some numbers...observe below: Oh, but first I should preface this by saying that this book is actually more than 12 months because I stopped Sophia's baby book at her first birthday so that left from mid-Sept through December and that could not go undocumented, so I added it in, which made it for about 15 months instead of 12. Okay, so here are the numbers ...






Number of pages in my book: 124
Average # of pics/page: 9 (this is a guess, b/c I didn't actually count!)
# of pics (approx) in book: 1, 116
# of pics I actually took within those 15 months: 5,641
% of pictures I used in the book: 20%






So, even though the book is going to cost me a fortune...just think of what it could have been! ;) (Charlie, I hope you're reading this!!!) Regardless of price, I think it's worth it. It's a year of memories that can now be cherished for a lifetime.






I'd like to say that next year it won't be as many pictures, therefore costing less and taking less time, because it will be fewer months, but let's be real...I don't work like that. In fact, last Christmas ('08) the spread was 5 pages, this Christmas it was a whopping 16 page spread. I know, I know, a sickness. BUT...this year was way more exciting because Sophia had a Christmas party, and helped us pick out the Christmas tree, plus she was actually into Santa Claus and opening presents so there were more priceless moments! And next year, Leo will be bigger and more involved, so that is going to account for more pictures too.




Anyway, I'd love for you all to view my masterpiece next time you're over, as pretty much everyone I know makes an appearance somewhere in the book, so all you have to do is ask!!! :)





So, here are a few pictures to what we've been up to in the mean time...we had a very low-key New Year's, which was much needed after all our Christmas craziness! We ordered some chicken wings, popped some champagne early (b/c let's be serious....we weren't staying up much past midnight and we had to drink that sucker up!), and hung out with our friends Jason and Jenn and their boys, Cayden and Alex. Sophia went to bed about 9:30, the boys went to bed around 10 and the four us hung out and talked until the ball dropped. New Year's Day we met Jodie, Greg, Emma and Isabelle at the bowling alley for Sophia's first bowling experience. She had a blast but was definitely done after 1 game.



My little rap mogul with her velour jumpsuit and gold chains

Mommy's snuggle-saurus

Sophia actually ate chicken wings...she rarely eats meat, but apparently no one can resist the chicken wing!

Alex pushing Sophia in the wagon....

... Sophia pushing Alex in the wagon!
This was a little trickier, but she insisted and Alex wasn't complaining!

I would have happily kissed this cutie at midnight!

the perfect way to start the new year...snuggling with Daddy and watching football!

Between frames Isabelle and Sophia enjoyed the slick alley floor to practice their break dancing moves

Our little bowling champ!

I'll just watch, okay mom?

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Velour jumpsuit and gold chains = Italian family wardrobe. You just haven't lived until you've been clad head to toe in velour.

Also, Leo looks like he has a little mohawk going on in the picture with you, and his expression really says it all...I pity the fool!

And, yes, you do take a ridiculous amount of pictures, but I can't wait to see the books! The kids will love having those when they get older.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I cannot wait to see the book. I have a little book project I am working on too.
Cathy

Jill said...

Truly, I am amazed at your dedication to finish your photo book. I can hardly get a book done that represents one day let alone one year! Perhaps your book will inspire me. I can't wait to see it!

Ellyn said...

I love that black and white hat on Leo!