I switched him to a soy formula on Tuesday and he doesn't seem to be having any major problems, but I think it's too early to tell if the other things are clearing up. We switched him to a low-lactose formula about a month after his birth when the breast milk and regular formula were making him extremely uncomfortable and gassy. This new formula helped quite a bit in that area, but after chit-chatting recently with one of my friends, whose daughter has a milk allergy, I realized that Leo had all the same symptoms. He has a major case of eczema that covers his entire body, and although it doesn't bother him now, it's really only because he doesn't know what's going on. Secondly, he has major mucus issues. Both things we attributed to the winter weather and didn't really think much of it. But, when I really looked at everything, it all added up. I called the pediatrician's office and the nurse seemed to confirm my suspicions. So far the downfalls with the soy formula are that the gas is back, although it doesn't seem to be as painful this time around, and he does seem to be spitting up more. Now, these things could be because of the formula or because we switched up his diet so quickly and his system needs time to adjust.
I know that we need time to assess the situation, but as a mother I feel a bit anxious about it. I mean first off...if he is allergic, I hate that we didn't catch it sooner and that I've been pumping him full of stuff he can't have! I also feel bad that we keep changing his diet (he's been on 4 different formulas plus breast milk in his short life span) and his poor little system is all out of whack! Lastly, and this is mostly selfish, I really, really hope this isn't permanent (although I'm not holding my breath) because we eat a lot of cheese and ice cream in this house! I know we can make substitutions and things will be just fine, but it really is such a bummer. His next appointment is Feb. 1, so we should have a much better idea by then, in fact, we should have a better idea in a week or two, depending upon whether or not his skin clears up...so we'll see!!
4 comments:
I hope all turns out well. I feel your pain with the eczema issues. Brandon has had it since birth and it is not any better at 3 1/2 years old. I wish I could make it go away.
Interesting. Well don't beat yourself up about it. You're a smart mama and put two and two together to come to this conclusion. I hope your next step leads to some improvement for little Leo.
I guess this isn't something that can eventually go away? Fingers crossed for all of you. :)
Tori - when Leo gets older there are probably things he can take (like supplements) which help break down the sugars that are lactose. They have these for adults (I take 'em daily) and so I imagine they have some version for children. It allows me to still indulge in ice cream, cheese pizza, and all the deliciousness that is a vat of dairy. :) You're doing GREAT!
Aunt Cathy welcomes baby Leo with open arms to her dairy free house!Hope you get this all figured out so he is no longer uncomfortable.
Post a Comment