Friday, February 27, 2009

Flowers and Chocolate Really Do Make it Better


These strawberries were about as big as my hand!

Another bouquet? This one looks slightly more edible!


A close up of each 'flower'
The daisies are pineapple rings that have been dipped part way into dark chocolate with the centers made from a ball of cantaloupe, with sprigs of grapes as the garnish!



The face of the Flu...



Sophia says Booooooo! to the nasty old flu
So yesterday Charlie and I celebrated four glorious years of marriage! He had taken the day off with the idea of celebrating in style! Oh so many plans, and oh, so many changes! Sophia is still sick. Yes, count the days, we're now going on day 5 of this terrible bug. She is still quite cranky and tired and has vomited at least twice each day since Monday. Today, however, we're keeping our fingers crossed and out mouths closed. She has a bit of an appetite, but nothing major. So far she's enjoyed soup, yogurt, apple sauce and water. I'm ready for her to be back to normal. I do feel like a terribly selfish mother, but it's hard to deal with this sort of cranky, sicky, grumpiness for so many days in a row. I know she's sick and I truly feel for her, but it's wearing me out. I know I sound horrible, but like I said, I'm ready for recovery!
Charlie did surprise me yesterday though with some treats! Traditionally we have always celebrated our anniversary by getting each other something from the "traditional wedding anniversary" list. Four years is commemorated with flowers and fruit. Hmmmm, flowers and fruit, that's easy for me, not so much for Charlie! I toyed with the idea of a Hawaiian shirt, but he's got quite a few and it's no fun to get something that you can't use right away (especially when 2 inches of snow is expected for tomorrow morning!), so I opted for a pie. My original plan was to bake him one myself but little miss Sophia did not allow for such things this week, plus with whatever germs we've got floating around here, I didn't need to present them to him via dessert! So I had Tippin's make a very delicious strawberry rhubarb pie just for him! This is one of his favorites, and my first attempt at making it was a serious disaster, so it's just as well!
He got me a dozen, beautiful red roses and some very delicious treats from Edible Arrangements. Okay, so I've seen commercials for these things on TV and I seriously thought they were cheesy, but honestly, it was about the cutest thing I've ever seen! I was absolutely giddy over it! The fruit is very fresh and juicy, the chocolate is yummy and even the vase is a keeper! He also threw in an order of chocolate covered strawberries that I've had to restrain myself not to devour all at once! Although, we wish it had been under better conditions, at least we spent the day as a family! That was truly what I wanted and enjoyed every minute with my darling husband! I am thankful every day for him and our family and it's nice to know that no matter what life brings us, we always have each other! I love you, honey!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Sorry that I forgot to wish you a happy anniversary on the phone today! The flowers and fruit look exquisite! Way to go with the self-control with the strawberries. Carl got me some for Valentine's Day, and needless to say, I had no control whatsoever :)