Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hunger Strike

Here's the double spoon trick in action!

Two spoons on the floor and one to go...


Drinking milk from a sippy like a big girl!

Sigh....well our "perfect" baby is now showing signs of a true baby complete with mood swings and that stubborn attitude! Darn-it...but come to think of it, that behavior sure does sound a lot like mommy! She has gone on somewhat of a hunger strike this past week. In fact, it started just after her doctor's visit, our theory is that she overheard the doc and is absolutely disgraced by her 95th percentile weigh-in and is showing her protest. Or maybe she's going through a phase, we're not sure, but it's one of those!



She started pushing the spoon away and refusing to eat. Okay, I thought that she was ready to start feeding herself, no biggie, except that I just made a freezer full of fresh purees, but whatever! So, I cut up some sweet potatoes and carrots for her to eat, but no go. She in fact was only interested in feeding herself Goldfish, Cheerios, and puffs--all the things that crunch, apparently. If it didn't crunch, not interested. Then she started trying to grab the spoon. Again, I thought ready to use it herself. No, not so much. She was really more excited to wave it around and fling the food across the dining room, that was way more fun than actually eating it.



So, we got some sage advice from our friends Greg and Julie to give her a spoon for each hand and then try and feed her! Well, smarts pays off I guess because it worked! Temporarily. Now, I'm just not sure when the mood will strike for her to want to eat, but let me tell you what, I shove as much as possible in there while the mouth is open and hope for the best! She is still drinking her milk, which is now switched from the bottle to the sippy with no problems, so I can't complain too much.



I'm trying to tame my inner control freak/crazy mother and tell myself that she will not starve to death and will eat when she's hungry!



Aside from eating, her sleeping habits are becoming a little different too. She's waking up a tad earlier, much to my dismay, and seeming not to sleep as soundly during the night. She also has had more "tantrums" in trying to take naps lately, very unlike her. Of course my psychosis has drawn the correlation between her not eating, therefore not having enough food in her belly which is causing her to disrupt her own sleep. Arg! Mostly, things are still very good with her sleeping, but I am beginning to notice slight changes.



Finally...I got a call from the doctor today and her hip x-rays were perfectly normal! Yipee! I figured that things were okay, but it's nice to be reassured. As far as her popping, we'll just wait and see. Hopefully she'll be walking by the time our next doctor's visit rolls around and we may have more answers, or it may just disappear, which would be better!

1 comment:

Jill said...

You're too funny relating her lack of interest in food to her 95%ile ranking!
I didn't know there was a potential issue with her hips but I'm glad all is well.