Thursday, April 25, 2013

Earth Day

So I did post these on FB already, but I like to keep the blog up to date as much as possible.  I was sort of inspired by a new cake book my Mother In Law got for me.  I saw the Compost Cake in it and that sent my brain into motion to come up with more ideas!!  Plus, I do appreciate Earth Day and I encourage the kids to keep the Earth in mind by recycling and reducing!  Also, our local farmer's market has opened for the season, so really, all the stars were aligned for my imagination to run wild! ;) And while I was creating away in the kitchen I turned on a Captain Planet marathon for the kids, it was perfect!  This was their first exposure to it, but they loved it and even requested watching it more! 

I bought some local spinach and onions for a nice big salad for our main course!
I adapted this idea from one I saw on line because I find it adorable!  They suggested using egg salad as a filler and herbs for garnish but since my people won't eat that, I went with salami and cheese for the kids and hummus for us.  Celery also seemed more likely to get eaten than anything else.
I made some "bouquets" of out of the veggies I had lying around.  Eating things off of skewers also makes dinner more exciting!

making fruit look cute is one sure way to get the kids to eat it!
 



here is the compost cake!  Yum!  I found some gummy mushrooms to go along with the worms and they were a hit with Leo.  Of course there were Oreos for dirt and dyed coconut for grass sprigs.  And since we're still in the middle of Lent, I even managed to make it vegan so Charlie and I could enjoy it too!


1 comment:

Ellyn said...

I'll have to send you my recipe for Dirt Cake. You put it in a flower pot and scoop it out with a trowel (all clean, of course). I made it for my Master Gardener group in NC and it was a BIG hit!