Saturday, February 2, 2008

More Shelby




Okay, I just had to add some more cute pics of Shelby and her never ending birthday---oh, the joys of being 12!! After the family party she was lucky enough to have a birthday party with her friends at a local Holiday Inn (actually the same one where we had our wedding reception) where they got to eat pizza, swim, play, and generally create havoc as only children do best.


Charlie and I were invited as guests of Stacy and Pam, not Shelby, to keep them company and entertain them for a while before they were surely up all night listening to the crunching of potato chips, giggling, whispering, and wondering exactly what was going on in the next room! We had a blast hanging out and Sophia slept through the whole thing, so it was perfect.


I was struck however, and really the main reason for wanting to post this, at how willing this group of girls was to pose and look cheeky for picture after picture. I wondered if I would be so sure standing bikini-clad amongst strangers, dripping wet, and smiling for the camera---Uh, no I would not. In this day and age of young people being so much more consumed by pressures from the media and elsewhere to have a certain look and to be so skinny, I was refreshed to see a group of girls throw out that notion and just have fun. They looked adorable and were truly enjoying themselves. It was a perfect moment of kids being kids, another notion that seems to be lacking in this country lately! Although these thoughts really make me sound kind of old, now that I'm a mom, I think even more about the pressures put on little girls and the pressures of just growing up and being a kid in this crazy new time of technology and sex. I hope that Sophia will grow up with many of Shelby's same traits: kindness, sense of humor, and a knack for having fun!

No comments: